Financial Markets & Financial Software The Skill-Builder for Financial Trading - Financial Training Software.
Entering & Tracking Trading Orders
The "Trading" Menu.
The individual Commands, associated Tools and Hot-Keys are shown below together with relevant notes and explanations where appropriate.
Note: An order-entry demonstration (41kb animated gif) can be seen here :
Opens the Market-Order Dialog-Box, into which the trader enters the order quantity:
- Clicking on the button opens the drop-down list shown to the right of the dialog-box, from which the trader can select the Order-Quantity prior to clicking on "Buy" or "Sell".
- Entering the following 4 key-strokes will trigger the command and enter an order to Sell 5 at Market: M-5~ Note that "~" = Enter-Key. This is a lot quicker than fiddling with a mouse or other pointing device, particularly if you are using a portable on an aeroplane, which seems to be popular.
- Entering a negative quantity and clicking on clicking on "Buy" will result in a Buy order, Similarly +10 followed by the sell button will be interpreted as a sell order (Only the "OK" button takes any notice of the sign).
- User-defined Commission (either a fixed amount per trade or a percentage of the nominal value of the transaction, charged when the order is executed on a half-turn basis ) and Slippage (ie a point or two adverse price to take account of the "Bid-Offer Spread") are charged when any order is executed. For a full discussion of Trading Parameters and Transaction-costs, see .
- Trading-Order may become effective either immediately or after a one-minute delay to simulate 'phone time : see for details the Order-Delay parameter.
Opens the Buy-Stop Order Dialog-Box, into which the trader enters the order quantity and Price:
- Operation of this command is essentially the same as for Market Orders, with the additional requirement to define the price
- To enter the above order (where "T" = Tab-Key), enter U20T7545~
- Since (by definition) this type of order is a "Buy" a negative quantity is interpreted as positive.
- The program carries-out a "Reality-Check" on all orders, and issues a warning / request for confirmation if the price is way out of range of the current price, rejects non-numeric data etc.
- The prices presented in the drop-down list range up from the current price at regular intervals - the size of the interval depends on the price-range currently displayed on the short-term chart. Any other price (eg 7543) can be entered manually.
- Both Commission and Slippage are also applied to Stop orders, see for details of all trading parameters.
- The X at the top of the Tool-Image shown above indicates that an order cancelling the open Buy-Stop order (to buy 10 if the price reaches 7565) has been entered.
Opens the Sell-Limit Order Dialog-Box, into which the trader enters the order quantity and Price:
Note: Operation of this command is essentially the same as for Buy-Stop Orders, except that only 1 point of slippage is standard for limit orders and instead of the order being triggered by the price moving up to a worse purchase-price it is triggered by the price moving up to a better sales-price.
Same as Sell-Limit, in reverse.
Same as Buy-Stop, in reverse.
Cancels all open unfilled Limit and Stop orders (see for details of when such cancellation becomes effective).
||Opens a dialog-box containing High / Low / Last price-infomation
||Opens a dialog-box containing trading-results information
||Opens a dialog-box containing details of the last trading-order filled|
Enables / disables the order confirmation procedure, if ON the program displays the confirmation dialog-box and requires confirmation or cancellation every time an order is entered (analogous to a broker reading-back an order prior to executing it). If OFF the order is entered unconfirmed : it is, however, shown immediately in the "Statistics" window if displayed.
Enables / disables the display of an order-execution report each time an order is filled. Note that if disabled program execution is still halted each time an order is filled. This option is useful if the trading statistics window has been hidden in order to maximise the chart-display area).
Next, Changing the Display:
Financial Markets & Financial Software. The Skill-Builder for Financial Trading - Financial Training Software.